A women’s plaid jacket is a timeless piece that you should definitely have in your closet. Plaid has been around for centuries, and it’s definitely not going anywhere. If you’ve ever wondered where plaid comes from, how to style it, or what the current plaid trends are, keep reading.
What is Plaid?
Plaid is a type of patterned cloth characterized by its distinctive, repetitive checks or stripes in two or more colors. The pattern is created by crossing two sets of perpendicular threads of different colors over one another. Plaid fabrics have been used for centuries in a variety of applications, including clothing, bedding, and upholstery. They are often associated with traditional Scottish tartan patterns, but plaid fabric can also be found in many other cultures and styles. Today, plaid is a popular choice for both fashion and home décor, offering a versatile and timeless look.
History of Plaid
The plaid fabric has a long history, with origins dating back to the tartan fabrics of Scotland. Different clans used tartan patterns to identify different clans and developed the material using natural dyes made from plants. No one knows the exact date when plaid fabric was first used, but Scottish people have used tartan fabrics for several centuries. Tartan fabrics identified different Scottish clans. The tartan popularity spread throughout Scotland and became a symbol of Scottish heritage and culture. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the plaid fabric became fashionable in Britain and was used to make clothing and other textiles. In recent history, many other countries adopted and popularized the pattern. Today, plaid fabrics are used in a variety of styles and are a staple in fashion and home décor.
How to Style Plaid
Plaid is a versatile and timeless pattern that you can style in many different ways. Here are some tips for incorporating plaid into your wardrobe:
- Classic button-up shirt: A classic plaid button-up shirt is a staple in any wardrobe. You can dress it up or down, and wear it alone or layered.
- Tartan scarf: A tartan scarf is a great way to add a pop of color to any outfit. Wrap it around your neck for a cozy, stylish look.
- Plaid pants: Plaid pants are a bold and stylish choice. Pair them with a solid-color top for a balanced look.
- Tartan skirt: A tartan skirt is a fun and flirty way to incorporate plaid into your wardrobe. Pair it with a simple top and boots for a chic look.
- Plaid jacket: A plaid coat is a statement piece that can instantly elevate any outfit. Wear it over a solid-color dress or with jeans and a t-shirt for a casual look.
- Mix and match: Mix and match plaid pieces with other patterns and solids to create a unique and stylish outfit.
Remember to keep the rest of your outfit simple when wearing plaid, as the pattern is often bold and eye-catching.
How to Wear a Plaid Jacket
A long plaid coat is a statement piece that can instantly elevate any outfit. Here are some tips for styling a long plaid jacket:
- Dress it up: Wear a plaid jacket over a solid-color dress and heels for a chic and sophisticated look.
- Layer it: Layer a plaid jacket, like a plaid trench coat, over a sweater and pants for a cozy and stylish look.
- Balance the pattern: Balance the bold pattern of a plaid jacket by pairing it with solid-color pieces.
- Mix and match: Mix and match different plaid patterns for a unique and stylish look. For example, wear a plaid jacket with a tartan scarf or plaid pants.
- Accessorize: Add accessories, such as a hat or scarf, to complete the look and add extra texture.
- Keep it casual: Pair a plaid jacket with a simple t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers for a casual, yet put-together look.
Remember to choose colors that complement your skin tone and choose the right fit for your body type. Most Plaid jackets for women can be versatile pieces. You can dress plaid up or down, depending on the occasion.
Plaid Trends 2023
Plaid is a classic and timeless pattern that often reappears in fashion in different styles and forms. Here are a few general tips that could still apply in 2023:
- Bold Colors: Plaid in bold, bright colors is a popular trend. Look for plaid pieces in bright hues such as red, green, blue, or yellow.
- Oversized fit: An oversized fit is a popular choice for plaid jackets and coats. This style creates a relaxed, yet fashionable look.
- Mix and Match: Mixing different plaid patterns is a trend for those who want to make a statement with their style. Mixing different plaids can create a unique and stylish look.
- Modern twist: Plaid is also appearing in modern, contemporary styles. Look for plaid pieces with asymmetrical hemlines, cut-out details, or unexpected silhouettes.
- Tartan: The traditional tartan pattern remains a popular choice, especially in the fall and winter months.
These are general trends, and it’s always best to wear what you feel comfortable and confident in. Keep an eye out for new styles and trends in fashion and home décor, and feel free to experiment with different ways to incorporate plaid into your personal style.
If you are looking to add a new women’s plaid jacket to your wardrobe this winter, here are some plaid jackets I currently love. If you’re looking for other plaid content from me, click here.
Plaid Jackets I Love