I’ve become an accidental collector of Mickey and Minnie ears. Since moving to Los Angeles in 2018, we’ve had many more opportunities to visit Disneyland (and Disney World in 2022!). We’ve been gifted several pairs of Disney ear headbands and also bought some ourselves. The other day, I realized just how disorganized my ear collection had become. So I started searching for Disney ear holder ideas. Thankfully, I found several different mouse ear holder ideas that are totally affordable and easy to assemble yourself. Read on to see what I used and other ideas for organizing your Mickey and Minnie ears at home.
History of Mickey Ears
But before we get into the organization, I was so curious about the history of Mickey and Minnie as well as their ears as souvenirs. I did a little research and learned that the first Mickey Mouse ears were created in 1929. The ears were released just a few months after the premiere of the first Mickey Mouse cartoon, “Steamboat Willie.” The original Mickey ears were made out of felt in the signature shape that is still the same today. Now, you can collect all types of designs and characters. Not all ears are just for Mickey. Recently, my daughter actually got a headband that was baby Yoda. Regardless, the Disney headbands are such a prominent symbol of Disney and Disney Parks. I think they’ll be around as long as we are.
History of Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse
Walt Disney created Mickey and Minnie Mouse in 1928. Mickey is an anthropomorphic mouse who usually wears red shorts, large yellow shoes, and white gloves. Minnie is also an anthropomorphic mouse who usually wears a red or pink dress, large yellow shoes, and white gloves. Minnie Mouse is the girlfriend of Mickey Mouse. Both characters are some of the most recognized and beloved characters in the world.
Mickey and Minnie Mouse made their debut in the short film “Steamboat Willie,” which was released on November 18, 1928. The film was a huge success and helped to establish Mickey Mouse as a popular character. In the years that followed, both Mickey and Minnie Mouse appeared in a number of other short films, including “The Band Concert,” “The Moose Hunt,” and “The Opry House.” Minnie Mouse was originally voiced by Walt Disney’s wife, Lillian Disney, and was originally portrayed as a bit of a flirt.
In the 1930s, Mickey Mouse became even more popular with the release of the feature-length film “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” which was the first full-length animated film. Mickey Mouse has since appeared in countless other films, television shows, and other media. In the 1930s, Minnie Mouse became more of a supporting character in the Mickey Mouse series. But she continued to appear in a variety of films, television shows, and other media. Today, both Mickey and Minnie Mouse are enduring symbols of the Disney brand and remain popular characters with people of all ages.
Ways to Organize Disney Ears
There are several ways that you can organize your Mickey Mouse ears collection:
- By color: Group your Mickey Mouse ears by color to create a visually appealing display. You can arrange them by the colors of the rainbow or mix and match colors for a more eclectic look.
- By style: Sort your Mickey Mouse ears by style, such as classic ears, character-themed ears, holidays, or customizable ears. This will make it easier to find the specific pair of ears you are looking for.
- By occasion: Organize your Mickey Mouse ears by the occasions you wore them or plan to wear them. For example, you could have a section for ears that you wore to Disney theme parks and a section for ears that you wear for Halloween or other special occasions.
- Alphabetically: If you have a large collection of Mickey Mouse ears, you might find it helpful to organize them alphabetically by name or style. This will make it easier to find specific ears in your collection.
Disney Ear Holder Ideas
There are several ways that you can store your Mickey Mouse ears to keep them organized and protected. There are many different Disney ear holder options you can create yourself or purchase.
- In a box: A simple and cost-effective way to store your Mickey Mouse ears is to place them in a box with dividers. You can use the dividers to separate your ears by color, style, or occasion. Here is an adorable collapsable Minnie Mouse storage container.
- On the wall: If you have a collection of Mickey Mouse ears that you want to display, you can hang them on the walls of your home. This will allow you to easily see and access your ears while also protecting them from damage. There are tons of different wall hooks you can use to hang each pair of ears individually. Or, you can get a hanging system as I purchased. I personally like the one I got because it only required me to nail one nail into the wall. Many of the individual hooks require screws or adhesive strips to hang them.
- In a closet: If you don’t have a lot of display space, you can store your Mickey Mouse ears in a closet. You can hang them on hangers with hooks, get a closet organizer, like this one, or use a hanger with multiple tiers to keep them organized. Hangers are surprisingly a great Minnie ears holder.
- In a display case: If you have a large or special collection of Mouse ears, you may want to consider displaying them in a display case. This will protect your ears and allow you to show them off to friends and family. This is an example of an acrylic storage box.
- On a table or dresser: There are many different Minnie ear holder options if you want to display them on a table. I personally love this adorable crown stand which would be so cute for the little princesses in your life. I also like how these stands are vertical and take up less space. These acrylic stands are also really chic.
- On a pegboard: Use a pegboard with hooks as a Mickey Mouse ear holder and keep them organized. This is a great option if you have a lot of headbands and need a way to keep them all visible and easily accessible.
Where to Buy Minnie and Mickey Ears
There are several places where you can buy Mickey Mouse ears:
- Disney theme parks: Disney theme parks sell Mickey Mouse ears. You can get them at Disney theme parks, including Disneyland, Disney World, and Disneyland Paris. You can find a wide variety of Mickey Mouse ears at these parks, including classic ears, character-themed ears, and customizable ears.
- Disney stores: Disney stores also sell Mickey Mouse ears. You can visit a store in person or shop online. The selection of Mickey Mouse ears at Disney stores is typically similar to what is available at Disney theme parks.
- Online retailers: Mickey Mouse ears are also available for purchase from online retailers such as Amazon and eBay. You can find a wide variety of Mickey Mouse ears on these sites, including classic ears, character-themed ears, and customizable ears.
- Specialty stores: Some specialty stores, such as costume shops and party supply stores, may also carry Mickey Mouse ears. The selection at these stores may be more limited than what is available at Disney theme parks and stores. But it is worth checking to see if they have what you are looking for.
I hope you found this article helpful when deciding how to organize your Disney headband collection. There are so many different and effective Disney ear holder ideas, so I hope you’ll give some of these a try. When my kids saw how I displayed our ears, they were so excited! My daughter already said she can’t wait to get a new pair when we head back to Disneyland next month for her birthday.