Chili Lime Roasted Peanuts
In the U.S. the Super Bowl is practically a national holiday, and food takes center stage. Nothing reminds me more of watching the ‘big game’ than some peanuts and beer. I’ve never seasoned my own nuts before, so I thought it was something worth trying. I didn’t realize just how easy it is and I love that there are almost endless combinations of flavors I could create.
I chose chili lime because I’m pretty much obsessed with everything lime. Adding some chili powder gives these nuts a kick so they aren’t too simple. I added extra lime zest and salt half-way through the cooking process to my taste preferences. Don’t be afraid to play with your flavors and make Chili Lime Roasted Peanuts your own.
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (3 to 4 large limes)
Freshly grated zest of 2 limes
2½ tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons kosher salt
4 cups shelled unsalted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 250ºF.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Whisk lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, and salt together in large bowl.
- Add peanuts and stir until evenly coated. Scrape nuts onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, take out to move nuts around and taste test one. Add more salt, lime juice and zest and chili powder until you reach desired taste (I added a bit more lime zest and salt to mine).
- Put back in the over and bake until nuts are fragrant, dry, and beginning to darken, about 30 to 40 minutes total. Let cool and store in airtight container.
What will you be making for the big game?