Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
Adapted From: Epicurious
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (preferably trans-fat free)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
2 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raw sugar
- Arrange racks in lower and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 350°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat brown sugar, shortening, and butter in a large bowl, scraping down sides halfway through beating, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add egg, molasses, grated ginger, and vanilla; beat just to blend. Add flour mixture 1/3 at a time; beat on low speed just to blend.
- Place raw sugar in a shallow bowl. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out dough into bowl with raw sugar; turn to coat well.
- Once coated in sugar, use your hands to roll into a ball. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with half of remaining dough and sugar, spacing balls 1 1/2″ apart.
- Bake cookies, rotating sheets at 5 minutes, cook an additional 5-7 minutes, until edges are firm and centers appear cracked, 10–12 minutes total.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool. Repeat with remaining dough and sugar, using cooled baking sheets and new parchment.
View Comments (0)